Sunday, February 24, 2013

Using Blogs in the Classroom

            Starting out this course, I wasn't sold on the idea of using blogs in the classroom. Throughout my time as an education student, I’ve come across many blogs created by teachers who post their lesson ideas and unit plans, etc. I have used quite a few of them as resources but always wondered “really, how does one use a blog in the classroom?” Obviously I could go the above mentioned route and have all my ideas that I snag from Pinterest for further reference and to help out other teachers or use it as a resource for parents to have a place to keep up with what is going on in their student’s lives, but then as I dug into the Wartlick site and found the Video a Day site, not only did I get distracted (so fascinated with "how do you" in space videos), I became inspired.


         What if I created a blog that contained videos and activities pertinent to the content we review in class? I could use it as resource during class but also leave it for students to access during free time or at home as added practice and enjoyment.
         What if students created their own blog to keep all their favorite videos or websites(all learning-related of course) all in one place for easy access? Doing this, organization and categorization could be a skill taught to keep their blog in order.
         During projects like the one I want to do in my Unit Plan, I could provide students with available links to get them started on their discovery journey of community based organizations that promote change. 
 
I suppose what really was lacking in my understanding of a blog was, that it isn't just an assignment to have my students do; it's a resource. As teachers, we are some of the most resourceful people out there, constantly digging up new things to use. I had my qualms mostly because I will be in special education classrooms where I am focusing on ensuring that my students can read and write or do basic functional skills. Who has time to teach kids how to blog? But in reality, I have seen many of my students who are so far behind other students, navigate through the internet better than many adults I know. This tool, although a bit tedious to teach how to create, takes almost nothing to teach how to use, and my students could benefit from something "cool" and alternative to using pen and paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment