Sunday, April 21, 2013

Putting Technology To Use

I selected a student to work with trying out technology in the classroom and really investigate how much my students are capable of. Can inquiry based learning really be used with my students and can I even get them to understand more of the internet than just click and search?

I selected a student with an active imagination and a fascination with tornadoes. It was a little hard to direct this student's hyper attention to answer questions once he knew would get to investigate tornadoes. But once I got him to understand that people were going to see his blog and we were sharing information, and essentially teaching others he quieted enough to get a KWL chart going of his knowledge. I told him we had to get an idea of where we are going with our project and what we want people to be able to learn from his posts.

We then created blog for him under a pseudonym. He loved being able to create this little piece of his own world. He selected a picture for the background and wanted to post his KWL chart on it as the first post. He also insisted on putting a video of a tornado on it. I walked him through searching for legitimate videos on Scientific websites.

He had so much fun, he did not want to stop looking for information and told me he would come up with more ideas on how to make his blog "better"

No comments:

Post a Comment